Little, Brown announced today the publication of an illustrated edition of J.K. Rowling’s 2008 Harvard Commencement speech, Very Good Lives: The Fringe Benefits of Failure and the Importance of Imagination. The book will be illustrated by Joel Holland and will be published worldwide (in English) on April 14, 2015.

The proceeds from the book will be destined to charity. 90% of them will go to Lumos, the charity organisation founded by J.K. Rowling which works to transform the lives of disadvantaged children, primarily trying to get them out of orphanages and institutions. The remaining 10% will go to university-wide financial aid at Harvard University.

The blurb of the book reads:

In 2008, J.K. Rowling delivered a deeply affecting commencement speech at Harvard University. Now published for the first time in book form, Very Good Lives offers J.K. Rowling’s words of wisdom for anyone at a turning point in life, asking the profound and provocative questions: How can we embrace failure? And how can we use our imagination to better both ourselves and others?

Drawing from stories of her own post-graduate years, the world-famous author addresses some of life’s most important issues with acuity and emotional force.

“I have heard and read many commencement speeches, none more moving and memorable than J.K. Rowling’s,” said Harvard President Drew Gilpin Faust. “Years after her visit to Harvard, people still talk about it— and still find inspiration in her singular evocation of the idea that living a meaningful life so often means daring to risk failure. What a powerful example she embodies, and what a remarkable gift her speech was, and is, for all of us privileged to hear it then— and to read it now.”

Check out below the cover of the book.

Very Good Lives by J.K. Rowling - Screen Reels

Share on Pinterest